we are open 24/7

Mould cleaning remediation

Myths About Mould Debunked

  Mould is a common problem for homeowners, and it’s tough to contain: given the right temperature, moisture, and humidity conditions, growth can start within 24 to 48 hours. Compounding the problem are misconceptions that many people have – if not properly understood, mould can become a genuine threat to property and health. To help you understand mould better, here are some of the most common myths about it, all debunked by experts in the field!

Myth: I Can Make Keep All Mould Out Of My House

  MouldMould spores are everywhere, from the great outdoors to most of the cleanest indoor environments. With every breath you take, mould spores are getting in and being exhaled – it almost makes complete elimination impossible, especially for homeowners.  Don’t be alarmed – mould has a necessary function in the environment. The mould found in natural environments decomposes organic matter, turning it into food for other organisms. The problems arise when spores find a suitable home – generally damp, humid, wet conditions – that also happens to be your home When someone reacts negatively to mould, it’s because there’s an unusually high concentration in the building. Higher amounts of mould can pose health risks and cause significant structural damage if you do not tackle any high moisture levels that can lead to an infestation.  

Myth: Some Moulds Are Tolerable

  While you don’t have to worry about moulds generally, seeing mould on building materials should lead to a call to a professional. All moulds, when growing in large enough concentrations, can cause health-related illness or wellness issues. People who already have respiratory problems are especially susceptible.  The symptoms of mould exposure can include allergic reactions, itchiness, headaches, coughing, watery eyes, congestion, dizziness, and even memory loss! Never tolerate mould growth, no matter what kind it is.   

Myth: If I Can’t See The Mould, It’s Not There

  mouldAs mentioned in our first myth, mould spores are almost indetectable. But it can even be invisible while infesting your home or business! The belief that all mould infestations look alike (for example, black stains) is common, leading many to think that if they can’t see it, there’s no problem. However, not all types of mould are visible.  One of the best ways to detect mould growth is by using the sense of smell. If you sense a musty odour, the cause is probably moisture, with mould likely to be present.  

Myth: I Can Take Care Of Large Mould Problems With Household Bleach

  Many people try to use household bleach to remove mould they find in their homes. However, bleach does not kill mould or spores but only bleaches it. If you use a basic cleaning product without taking any other measures, you will see the mould return in rooms where moisture and humidity are common. Don’t get rid of the bleach just yet, though! Cleaning and maintaining bathroom and kitchen surfaces with detergent and water can stop mould from becoming an issue. Make sure to use exhaust fans in bathrooms to keep the humidity low – this can limit the growth potential for mould.  However, once an area is infected, you probably need professional mould removal services. Amateur removal efforts can only accelerate mould growth, as most people don’t know proper containment and remediation methods. Certified professionals have special equipment and understand the techniques needed to eliminate mould properly and efficiently.